Vernon Publishing, Inc. encourages letters to the editor and intends to print
the opinions of readers in full with as few restrictions as possible.
The restrictions are:
- All letters must be of local interest and must address a local topic.
- All letters must be signed, and the name of the writer and telephone number
must be included for verification purposes. The editor may delay publication if
necessary to make verification. Names and phone numbers may be withheld upon request at the editor's discretion.
- Because the focus of a community newspaper is local, letters will not be accepted
for publication from people who reside outside the local coverage area unless there
are extenuating circumstances, and the letters address local topics.
- The newspaper may limit the number of letters published on the same topic and of
the same opinion.
- If a letter-writer attacks a specific individual or organization, the newspaper
may allow the person or organization being attacked to read the letter before publication,
and to answer it in the same issue.
- The newspaper will not print any letter that is libelous, or that contains offensive
- Thank you letters may not contain names of specific businesses or individuals (the writer may say
"thanks to everyone who contributed".)
- Letters more than 250 words in length may be edited for length or may not be published at all.
- Letters endorsing or opposing a political candidate or election issue will not be published. These should be paid advertisements.
- Vernon Publishing, Inc. reserves the right to edit, or refuse to publish, any and all letters,
and to deviate from this policy.
Loading Family Features Content Widget
Loading Family Features Article